Sunday, May 13, 2007

Scenic World

Whenever I listen to the album Gulag Orkestar by Beirut, I want to fight in the Spanish Civil War. That's a terrible association, because the album is beautiful, but the Spanish Civil War, or any war for that matter, was/is not. Hemingway did his best to present war the way it was, straight up, without romanticizing it; but, either due to the things he did in life or simply the way he did things in life is presented, I think it's safe to say that Hemingway has been romanticized enough to make fighting in the Spanish Civil War look like a noble thing. Perhaps I should check my wording. Because in a way, depending on your politics, it is a noble thing to defend your ideals by any means necessary. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean that death is any prettier for nobility.

No comments: